Read The Last Juror(21) online free by John Grisham

The Last Juror(21)
Author: John Grisham

The Judge shrugged and said, "So? He's here. What's the difference?" There was not a trace of concern in his voice, and I knew I was nailed.

"Preparation for one thing. A witness has a right to be prepped."

"I believe he's the newspaper editor, is he not?"

"He is."

Lucien Wilbanks was walking toward the jury box as if he might take a swing at Harry Rex. He said, "Your Honor, he's not a litigant, and he will not be a witness at trial. He wrote the stories. Let's hear from him."

"It's an ambush, Judge," Harry Rex said.

"Sit down, Mr. Vonner," His Honor said, and I took a seat in the witness chair. I fired a look at Harry Rex as if to say, "Nice work, lawyer."

A bailiff stood in front of me and said, "Are you armed?"

"What?" I was beyond nervous and nothing made sense.

"A gun. Do you have a gun?"

"Yes."

"Can I have it, please?"

"Uh, it's in the car." Most of the spectators thought this was funny. Evidently, in Mississippi, one cannot properly testify if one is armed. Another silly rule. Moments later the rule made perfect sense. If I'd had a gun, I would've begun firing in the direction of Lucien Wilbanks.

The bailiff then swore me to tell the truth, and I watched as Wilbanks began pacing. The crowd behind him looked even larger. He began pleasantly enough with some preliminary inquiries about me and my purchase of the paper. I managed the...

Continuous reading: Read The Last Juror(21) online free by John Grisham

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic #7)(7) online free by Sophie Kinsella

Read To Touch a Sheikh (Pride of Zohayd #3)(13) online free by Olivia Gates

Read Detective(21) online free by Arthur Hailey