Read Play It Safe(16) online free by Kristen Ashley

Play It Safe(16)
Author: Kristen Ashley

Steel slid down my spine and I had to do the impossible, give in at the same time fight it.

“My mother with the eyes. I don’t know where I got my hair.”

She held my gaze, unwavering.

I pulled mine away and ate my toast.

I didn’t look back at her when she asked, “Where do you hail from?”

“We moved around a lot,” I evaded.

Silence then, “I see.”

Yep. I was sure she did.

I finished the toast, sat back, eyes to the table and sipped coffee.

Moments slid by then again from Grandma but not to me, “Best get Ivey into town, sweetheart. I’ll do the dishes.”

I didn’t eat breakfast but I figured I should at least offer so I chanced looking at her again. “Why don’t you let me do that? My way to say thanks for toast and preserves, coffee,” my eyes slid through Gray to the window as I finished, “and everything.”

“That isn’t necessary, Ivey,” Grandma Miriam said and I looked at her.

She wanted me in town, out of her house and hopefully, as soon as I could manage it, out of her grandson’s life.

“It isn’t any trouble. I’m sure I could have it done in a few minutes and be out of your hair.”

“Got nothing else to do, child,” she replied quietly. “Now, you get on into town with Gray.”

In other words, get on wherever just get on.

I nodded and stood.

In short order I had my jacket on, my scarf on, my purse...

Read here: Read Play It Safe(16) online free by Kristen Ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read Shopaholic to the Stars (Shopaholic #7)(7) online free by Sophie Kinsella

Read To Touch a Sheikh (Pride of Zohayd #3)(13) online free by Olivia Gates

Read Detective(21) online free by Arthur Hailey