Read The Rainmaker(4) online free by John Grisham
Author: John Grisham
My hand shakes as I scrawl on my pad. Wham! Just like that, I've created four millionaires. "What about the rest?" I ask in a low whisper.
She jerks backward, sits erectly and says, "Not a dime. They don't call me, never send gifts or cards. Cut 'em out."
If I had a grandmother worth twenty million dollars I'd send flowers once a week, cards every other day, chocolates whenever it rained and champagne whenever it didn't. I'd call her once in the morning and twice before bedtime. I'd take her to church every Sunday and sit with her, hand in hand, during the service, then off to brunch we'd go and then to an auction or a play or an art show or wherever in the hell Granny wanted to go. I'd take care of my grandmother.
And I was thinking of doing the same for Miss Birdie.
"Okay," I say solemnly as if I've done this many times. "And nothing for your two children?"
"That's what I said. Absolutely nothing."
"What, may I ask, have they done to you?"
She exhales heavily as if frustrated by this, and she rolls her eyes around as if she hates to tell me, but then she lurches forward on both elbows to tell me anyway. "Well," she whispers, "Randolph, the oldest, he's almost sixty, just married for the third time to a little tramp who's always asking about the money. Whatever I leave to him she'll end up with, and I'd...
Read here: Read The Rainmaker(4) online free by John Grisham
Comments
Post a Comment